Wordless Wednesday

Works in progress

IMG_2363_hs

The Ascent of Van…

Advertisements

New year, new scale?

Got a bit clicky on Hogmanay and ended up on the 2mmFS association website.  Might have been the whisky thinking, but three days later this turned up.

img_20190104_180501933

What a fantastic idea!  A complete ‘amuse-bouche’ of 2mm parts to try out.  Being able to buy some bits without being a member is a brilliant way to attract new people into a new scale — well done 2mmAssoc!  Here’s the link to the kit.  Who knows, perhaps I’ll start pipe-dreaming of a 2mm layout next (what a lie!  My pipe is already stuffed full of 2mm concepts!)

Looking forward putting this together, once I’ve finished off some of those chunky 4mm lumps currently in progress…

A quick brake (sic)

Between club model projects, preserved railway projects, house projects, work projects, and of course two young children, there is not much of my own modelling going on at the minute. I felt the need to do something though, so I’ve spent an evening or two playing with wagon kits.  That fairly quickly led down the rabbit hole of brake gear. A few books later, and last night’s attempt was at a simplified Rice-style LNER AVB rigging. 0.7mm rod to represent the brake linkages, and 1mm rod for the cross-link. Attachment to the plastic brake gear is a combo of melting in and epoxy.  It’s far from perfect, but fairly happy for a first attempt. The enlightened will notice the main link is the wrong way round though…

Second picture reveals a disturbing non-squareness in the wheel sets :-\ Maybe I need to put the compensating W-irons in after all…

Scenic practice

I’ve been doing a fair bit of work on the club layout lately. Along with making the signals (more on that later), I seem to have ended up doing the scenics too.  Given that my previous scenic ‘CV’ only extends to arranging some plastic fir trees around a papier mâché shoe-box tunnel, I thought I should perhaps practice a bit first…

So I’ve started a little diorama (60x40cm) using the same techniques as already employed on the main layout. First I butchered an old layout top to make a plywood frame for a single line cutting through a sloping hill side. The idea was to have ~half cutting and ~half embankment. I forgot the height of the track bed though, so it’s more embankment than cutting!

IMG_20180507_112805257

Basic diorama formers

I painted the frame white for some protection, and to see/fill the holes and dents in the old ply more easily. Then I added the basic land forms from chicken wire, mod-roc, and plaster skim (mixed with brown paint and PVA).  The plaster skim is also added underneath, which forms a nice hard shell.  This is the basic state the club layout is in already (plus track work of course). From here, I’m into terra incognita…

landscapestages

Evolution of the landscape

I’m not sure I’d use this technique again — the chicken wire is simply painful to put on, and I don’t think gives that much subtlety to the landscape. Next step is to put the track base down, then do the cess before laying and ballasting the track. The intention here is to go for a fairly well maintained single line from the 1930s…

Off on holiday next week, but a club mate has lent me this estimable tome. Looking forward to getting learnt about modern scenics 🙂

IMG_20180516_210445465

Holiday reading…

Mittwoch Mockup

Since joining the local model railway club (www.admrc.org.uk) a year or so ago, I’ve been helping out with their “Pentre Road” layout, which is based on the North-and-West route through Herefordshire.   Latest thing to worry about has been exit stage right, for which I’ve found a nice road overbridge just south of the Dinmore tunnels. (see here; http://www.archive-images.co.uk/gallery/Archive-Colour-Images-of-the-Railways-of-Herefords/image/108/Dinmore_Tunnel_South_End_c1964 – though oddly flipped left-right).

Below is a quick mock-up made from a pair of scalescenes kits I already had; the brick bridge download (R011) for the main dimensions, and an ashlar retaining wall (R013) for the overlays; modified to give the steeply descending road and slightly skew bridge. I think the final one will be in plasticard, as I do think ashlar/rubble type structure need the 3d relief that textures don’t give.  It’s not the neatest of builds, but will do for now and provide a reference to build the landforms up.

IMG_20180501_225635693

Mock-up based on overbridge just south of Dinmore tunnel

Little big trains

Had a very wet, but very fun, day down at the Romney, Hythe, and Dymchurch railway last weekend. The engineering on the 1/3rd scale engines is simply beautiful.

IMG_20180330_145350674

There is also a nice model railway exhibition at Romney station, from which we came away with a very clean – and very competitively priced – Mainline J72 (original Mainline). It needs couplings fitted, and who knows how long the axles will last, but it should be very happy chuntering round the kids layout 🙂

IMG_20180402_170511007_HDR